Monday, August 23, 2010

Image Of The Day-"Rock Show!"

Paul McCartney
Thursday August 19, 2010
Uptown

There is a bit of a misconception around town that the few of us who blog about music are in some sort of competition against each other. That idea could not be further from the truth. In fact, most of us know each other quite well and support each other as best as we can. Case in point is my man at the Pgh Music Report. He scores a photo pass to the Paul McCartney show and asks me if I want it. It takes a second for me to say yes and before you know it, I am up on the sound board platform at the new arena, shooting arguably the biggest show I have ever done. Not much to say that hasn't already been said except that someone recognized me up there right before the show and was kind of surprised to see me there, happy for me but surprised, nonetheless. It was cool that she gave me a look of, "Right on, Hugh!" There are a lot of supportive people in this town and last Thursday was evident of that. More photos here.


Another cool moment came on Wednesday morning. Being a member of the 'media', I occasional receive alerts about things happening around town. One that I thought was unique and worth checking out was that the Hard Rock Cafe was bringing in it's biggest and most rare piece of memorabilia in it's vast collection in honor of McCartney's shows. The original Magical Mystery Tour bus. Since I had the chance, I went down to see it arrive.

And finally, there was a wild scene after the show at the 'private' airport terminal as McCartney flew home. Now, I am a casual autograph seeker. I enjoy it as a hobby and never have or will think about selling signed items for monetary gains. Seriously, how much do you think I can get for an autographed copy of my Deliberate Strangers CD? It's not about that for me. Apparently, it is for some people. They take this notion of signed memorabilia seriously, like a career! There were at least 100+ people waiting for the slim chance to get Sir Paul to scribble on their beat up album cover. There were actual rules to follow. Show your ticket stub to prove you were at the show. One item apiece. No cutting in a single file line. Apparently, someone hired 30 people from a temp agency to increase their chances. Nuts!


No comments: