Friday, December 25, 2009

List-Shows!!! Favorite Shows of 2009 Pt. 3

As with the previous posts, in no order:

The Broken West
Saturday March 28
Andy Warhol Museum
I LOVE this band. They opened for A.C. Newman (whose set I had to duck out early for to hit MOIP's CD release show). Two top shows of the year in one night!

Camera Obscura
Tuesday June 30
Mr. Smalls
I finally got on this band's wagon this year and can't believe it took me this long. Their acoustic set at YEP in the afternoon was just as good as the show proper later that night.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre
Monday March 30
Rex Theater
When Joel Gion and Matt Hollywood ambled on stage there was a collective gasp in the audience as the band blasted away and never looked back. Being invited on stage by the tour manager to shoot was icing on the cake. I do have to say the this was the grossest, weirdest, cranked out crowd I have ever been in. YUK!

Frightened Rabbit
Tuesday January 27
WYEP Studios
I missed their show the previous night but had to settle for this short studio set, which was awesome and had me promising myself to never, ever miss them again.

Fanfarlo
Saturday December 12
Brillobox
This band was just so much fun. A very late in the year surprise discovery.

The Rural Alberta Advantage
Tuesday October 8
Garfield Artworks
It's hard to imagine this is a sparse trio with the amazing music they make. A band with a huge future.

Dr. Eugene Chadbourne
Wednesday June 10
MoGlo Coffehouse
This was extremely cool. A veritable 'unplugged' in a coffeehouse! I love seeing shows in unconventional settings.

Good Night, States
Friday August 21
The Mansion
I will never forget the day I had the privilege of hanging with the band as they ran through the new EP for their release show. My own private concert! Thank you so much.


No comments: