Monday, February 26, 2018

First/Last - Ceramic Animal


Ceramic Animal has a knack for contouring impressionistic euphonies from a dusting of recognizable times and sounds. 'So Familiar' feels that same way, but unlike the retro-fit-psych-pop-dad-rock vibes of 'The Cart', the specific influences driving this new single are a bit tougher to pin down. The band seems to recognize this, spelling it out for the listener with pomp and panache so obtuse it's right in the song's title (and told to you over and over again each chorus)--what you are listening to is 'So Familiar'. Even so, the influences are not overt. Ceramic Animal again manages to make something 'So Familiar' something all its own."

Ceramic Animal is an indie-psyck rock band from Philadelphia who just released the first single entitled "So Familiar" from their upcoming sophomore album due this Spring. They make their Pittsburgh debut this Wednesday night (2/28) at The Funhouse at Mr. Smalls with support from locals Zeve and The Bird Hour. I want to thank Warren Regan (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.



The first album you ever bought?
Led Zeppelin I on CD.

Your last album bought?
Digital: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - I'm in Your Mind Fuzz.
Vinyl: King Crimson - Islands.

Favorite album of all time?
Stuck between two for different reasons. Dark Side of the Moon is a masterpiece that I can listen to straight through almost anytime. But I think Iggy Pop's Lust for Life is the greatest A-side of any pop rock record ever.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
My most disappointing experience with an album was with The Rolling Stones. It was their A Bigger Bang album. I was young and the idea of a band like the Stones releasing an album in my lifetime felt gnarly. It was a classic case of not keeping one's expectations in check but I was just a squirt so...

First concert attended?
I didn't technically attend the concert -- but the show(s) that got me to start playing guitar was a Led Zeppelin live DVD that I got as a gift when I was 10 or 11. It might have just been called "Led Zeppelin DVD" or something generic like that but it had a few shows from different venues they played through the years - all which were pretty incredible.

Last concert?
Philly house show with my buddies Sixteen Jackies and The Mysteries. Before that: Mac Demarco.

Favorite concert ever?
The Growlers with The Garden at Johnny Brenda's in Philly was cool because of the intimacy. September of 2014.

Least favorite concert?
I've never been that let down by a performance I'm glad to say. But we all had tickets to see POND in the middle of January in Philly. They had some visa issues and had to move the show out to the spring. It was a bummer since we haven't had a chance to catch them yet and might not be able to make the new date.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh is a wicked underrated city. I have a few friends out here so I have visited a couple times but it's always been a blast. I am mostly familiar with Oakland and Southside.

Thanks, Warren. That Zep DVD is still a benchmark of how to put out a live music video, IMO. In fact, it is the highest selling music video of all-time and rightly so. I re-watch that thing to this day. Some incredible stuff.

No comments: