Monday, January 18, 2016

First/Last - Blue Clutch


"Hailing originally from central Pennsylvania, Sarah Halter, the front woman, guitarist, and lead songwriter of Blue Clutch, has been playing guitar and singing since the age of sixteen, studying and incorporating various styles of music including folk, acoustic rock, heavy metal, and bluegrass. Current Blue Clutch members consist of Sarah Halter, Lia Silverbeams, and Alisa Jacobson. The upcoming debut EP, Little Grave Digger, will contain original songs bringing unique artistry and power to the Pittsburgh music scene. Heavy acoustic rhythms, minor keys, melodic guitar melodies, as well as empowering, penetrating lyrics reflecting on some of the darker undertones of this life will be found on the first EP and during live performances."

Blue Clutch is a new alternative rock band from Pittsburgh lead by Sarah Halter (Guitar/Vocals). The band is prepping their debut EP to be released soon and have a trio of shows lined up for next month. I want to thank Sarah for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.



The first album you ever bought?
The first album I remember buying at the store when I was younger was Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park. I loved their sound at the time because they had some of the edgier tunes on the radio.

Your last album bought?
The last album (or I guess in this case it is technically an EP) I bought was Liss Victory's most recently released EP called The Low Lights Make Me Love You.

Favorite album of all time?
This is a really difficult question, but one of my favorite albums of all time is Fallen by Evanescence. It was truly inspiring to hear such a talented female musician front a superbly-talented band even though they went mainstream in the rock and even the pop worlds.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I don't really have one. All of the albums I've listened to in the past are usually due to some particular interest with the band/performer or one of their songs. If I choose to commit time to listen to an entire album, I probably already like the artist or what they have done in some way.

First concert attended?
I think it was Gloria Estefan, but I don't remember the year, and I was very young. My parents took me along.

Last concert?
I've been saving my pennies, so I have not going to hardly any big concerts as of recently. However, I have frequented a few of the local venues to support the local scene. One of the more recent group shows I've went to was the October Girlie Show at Hambone's. It was a fortuitous choice to attend this show and become involved with The Girlie Show: Pittsburgh Edition because now I am the new host of this event.

Favorite concert ever?
Evanescence at the Bryce Jordan Center in State College, PA circa 2007.

Least favorite concert?
Yellowcard at the Bryce Jordan Center, circa 2005.
 

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
So far some of my greatest memories in Pittsburgh generally have to do with getting established in the music community. I moved here in July of 2014, knew pretty much no one, and then started hitting every open mic to meet people and continue to build my music performance experience. Now I have an EP coming out this year, have formed a band, and have learned so much about myself as a musician, music itself, and the industry in only six months. Of course, there is still loads of work to be done, but I am really looking forward to what all is ahead here.

Thanks, Sarah. May I be one of the first to publicly welcome you to the scene! Looking forward to hearing the new music.

No comments: