Wednesday, December 9, 2015

First/Last - Pierogi Pizza


"Influences: Tiny Tim, Buddy Nutt, Weird Paul, Ella Fitzgerald, and old dead people who are better than me."

Pierogi Pizza is the moniker for Pittsburgh songwriter and ukulele artist Jody Perigo who recently released her debut album entitled Smoke. Formerly of Great Great Ants and Moldies and Monsters, Jody turns it down a notch with her take on 'old-timey jazz folk' on this record. I want to thank Jody for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.




The first album you ever bought?
With my own allowance money, Aerosmith Permanent Vacation.

Your last album bought?
I just bought the latest album by a band from Washington, D.C. called More Humans. They were once a Pittsburgh band when they were attending Pitt. I've loved everything they've done and they're all around great guys too!

Favorite album of all time?
I go in phases, so I've never really had a favorite. Too many to list!

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Same as above, but I remember this being more common before you could cheat and preview music on the internet!

First concert attended?
Tesla and Firehouse at the Johnstown War Memorial! I think my sister's boyfriend at the time just wanted an innocent 11-year-old to come along to more successfully smuggle in a flask of whiskey!

Last concert?
I think the last touring act I went to see was Bombino at the Rex. He's a guitarist from Niger. I love how international music goes beyond the barriers of language to take us to a whole different world!

Favorite concert ever?
I have a lot of awesome concert memories, but maybe one that sticks out in my memory is St. Vincent with David Byrne at the Palace in Greensburg. David Byrne's usual weirdness, St. Vincent's guitar playing, their stage presence together... and they even had a full horn section! I think it was because I had free tickets and I went in with no expectations, so it was a pleasant surprise!
I also remember crying at a Police concert during the song "King of Pain", so that sticks out in my head too!

Least favorite concert?
I'm sure there were a few, but I remember one time tagging along to a Gary Puckett show and he did that annoying thing where he tried to give the audience a guilt trip for not clapping/cheering loud enough. He bragged about his accomplishments, how many albums he sold, and how he met Elvis.  He just seemed washed up and desperate!


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I've lived in the Pittsburgh area since 2003 and I understand how many people get sucked into the vortex and can't stay away for too long, love it or hate it! I really love the people, and I'm a small town/country girl at heart, so I like that the trees and mountains aren't too far away.

Thanks, Jody. I love that you refer to Weird Paul as an influence... I believe he is an influence on all of us whether we know it or not!

No comments: