Tuesday, December 22, 2015

First/Last - Old Soles and Seedy Players


"Old Soles and Seedy Players is the brainchild of multi-instrumentalist and producer Dan Sty. With influences ranging from Steely Dan and Harry Nilsson to Foxygen and The Beach Boys, OSSP spans multiple genres to create a fresh and unique sound."

Old Soles and Seedy Players is a neo-soul psychedelic pop band from Pittsburgh who are helping to close out 2015 this Saturday (12/26) with a bangin' show on the south side featuring blog faves Balloon Ride Fantasy and power-popsters Paint31. I want to thank Dan Styslinger (Keys/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.




The first album you ever bought?
It was actually a cassette of Pearl Jam Ten I bought when I was 8 years old. My second was Lou Bega A Little Bit of Mambo.

Your last album bought?
Ray Lamontagne Supernova.

Favorite album of all time?
It's really hard to pick but I'd have to go with the self-titled debut album from Ben Folds Five. Favorite probably isn't the right word but it's definitely the most influential. After listening to the opening piano line in "Philosophy" for the first time I knew I wanted to be a piano player.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Lou Bega A Little Bit of Mambo. Just kidding (that album's a masterpiece). In all seriousness I was disappointed with Death Cab's Codes and Keys but was really impressed with their latest record Kintsugi. It's one of my favorites of 2015.

First concert attended?
"Weird Al" Yankovic circa 2003.

Last concert?
Tallest Man on Earth at the Carnegie Music Hall of Homestead.

Favorite concert ever?
Another band I play in, Delicious Pastries, opened for Kishi Bashi at the Altar Bar a couple years ago. That was the first time I heard his music and he blew me away. Recently, my other other band, Southside American, opened for Robert Randolph at Jergel's. To see musicians of such a high caliber is like a religious experience to me and to get the opportunity to share the stage with some of them is a dream come true.

Least favorite concert?
I saw the band Train in concert once. I don't like talking about it.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh has such an amazing and vibrate music scene. I'm constantly blown away by the immense amount of talent in our city. There are so many great bands and artists it's hard to keep track of all of them. The future of Pittsburgh music is bright.

Thanks, Dan. Happy Holidays, brother. Hopefully see you play in the New Year!

No comments: