Tuesday, September 22, 2015

First/Last-Lone Wolf Club


"Based in Pittsburgh, PA, LWC is a band made up of six main members, however, they often bring in other musicians for shows and recordings. They are currently in the preproduction and recording stages of their first EP, scheduled to be released within the next year, and are performing at smaller venues in and around Pittsburgh."

Lone Wolf Club is an up and coming Pittsburgh band that is currently working on new music to follow up their debut "Many Moons" EP. As they do they take a break from the studio to perform this Wednesday (9/23) on the South Side. I want to thank Zack Morgan (Guitar/Vocals), Jaime Grant (Cello/Vocals), Justin Stag (Guitar/Vocals) and Keith Quinn (Bass/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.



The first album you ever bought?
Zack Morgan: ‘Armageddon’ Soundtrack.
Jaime Grant: ‘Space Jam’ Soundtrack.
Justin Stag: “Smash” by The Offspring.
Keith Quinn: Smash Mouth “Astro Lounge”.

Your last album bought?
Zack: Lowercase Noises “This is for Our Sins”.
Jaime: Janis Joplin “Janis”.
Justin: “Tomorrow's Modern Boxes” by Thom Yorke.
Keith: Charles Bradley “No Time For Dreamin’”.

Favorite album of all time?
Zack: Difficult question. I will just name a few in no specific order: “The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me” (Brand New), “White Pony” (Deftones), “Maybe They Will Sing for Us Tomorrow” (Hammock), “Moving Mountains” (Moving Mountains), “Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust” (Sigur Ros) and “White Lighter” (Typhoon).
Jaime: My favorite album of all time changes on an almost monthly basis.
Justin: Impossible question. Maybe “OK Computer” or “Kid A” (Radiohead), “De-Loused in the Comatorium” (The Mars Volta), “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea” (Neutral Milk Hotel) or “The Shepherd's Dog” (Iron & Wine) but I honestly don't think I could ever settle on a single album.
Keith: Typhoon “White Lighter”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Zack: I agree with Keith with saying that I only try to think of the ones I like.
Jaime: Pointer Sisters “Breakout”. The cover looked so cool, and I hated their sound.
Justin: Probably the ‘Batman Forever’ Soundtrack. A few big name bands but mediocre songs. And if I remember correctly they have the fade out version of ‘Kiss from A Rose’ on there. That song should never be faded. It's too amazing. It should always go through to completion. That sin is unforgivable.
Keith: I try to only think of the ones I like

First concert attended?
Zack: The first one I can remember is Jimmy Buffet.
Jaime: Something that my mother sang at.
Justin: I believe it was the '98 Tibetan Freedom Concert. Whichever one had The Beastie Boys, Wyclef Jean, Radiohead and surprise appearance by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And one or two people got struck by lightning.
Keith: The Monkees.

Last concert?
Zack: Man Man.
Jaime: Grand Piano/Wreck Loose.
Justin: [that was a national acts] It was either the last time Cloud Cult or Neutral Milk Hotel came through Pittsburgh. Both shows were beautiful.
Keith: Son Little.

Favorite concert ever?
Zack: Roger Waters when he performed “The Wall” in its entirety a few years back.
Jaime: HFestival in Maryland.
Justin: The first time I ever saw Cloud Cult. My friend and I had tried to see them two times before and something always came up: we'd get to the venue and the show time had changed by a few hours or our other friend had gotten kicked out of the venue before the show even started. We actually drove, extremely hungover from just outside of Baltimore to Pittsburgh. We barely made it through the opener. But when Cloud Cult came on something supernatural happened. That group repairs souls with their art and energy. I've cried during each of the four times I've seen them, I believe. I remember being in the passenger seat on the drive home and going through a blizzard and my friend and I both agreed that the snow was the most beautiful we had ever seen. It was nine hours of driving that day. It was well worth. I am not joking about them repairing souls. If you know them thank them. If you don't, go out and see them.
Keith: Passafire in Columbus, OH

Least favorite concert?
Zack: Jimmy Buffet.
Jaime: A choir concert that rubbed me the wrong way.
Justin: More disappointing than bad but The Low Anthem played at the 9:30 Club in Washington, DC. They had just changed their sound in a way that my friend and I didn't enjoy. We wanted more attitude from them I guess. Another Fave Concert: Brand New at Rams Head Live in 2007. They played for 2+ hours and brought everyone up from all the openers to help play ‘Limousine’. It was super powerful. it was also the last concert I went to with a close friend of mine who died less than ten days later.
Keith: George Clinton & P. Funk (2012).


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Zack: The sense of family and everyone helping each other find gigs.
Jaime: All the parks are so beautiful.
Justin: The friends I've made. It can be quite lonely without them. Eeyore out.
Keith: The people. They're down to earth, hard-working, creative, kind, talented, funny and loyal people and they are the life blood that makes this little big city and awesome place to live.

Thanks, all. I love doing this blog for many reasons but first and foremost discovering new music to these ears. Thanks, Keith and Zack for the heads up on Typhoon. Great stuff!

No comments: