Monday, September 21, 2015

First/Last-Egomyth


"Egomyth walks the tightrope between modern and classic rock, creating songs that defy easy categorization. Their sound combines rock, new wave, and alternative music. Their influences include Muse, U2, Faith No More, The Cure, Killing Joke, The Fixx, Simple Minds, Roxy Music, and The Mission UK. The Egomyth sound is powerful, evocative, mysterious, innovative, and challenging."

Egomyth is an 'alternawave' band from Pittsburgh who are currently hunkering down in the studio to release their debut EP. You can get a taste of what they are about by checking out some of their demo and rehearsal tapes and live vids. As you listen, join me in thanking Joshua Weinel (Guitars) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.




The first album you ever bought?
I bought “Thriller” by Michael Jackson on cassette as a kid. ‘Beat It’ is probably the first song I can remember ever hearing (besides TV theme songs for kid's shows).


Your last album bought?
“Catch 33” by Meshuggah, unless I bought some used CD's since then, I'm not sure. I'm not big on buying/collecting things.


Favorite album of all time?
The one album I've probably listened to the most is “Downward Spiral” by Nine Inch Nails, but it's been many years since I gave that a listen. If I had to point to a favorite now, I'd probably say “Best of Dio” or “Best of Parliament Funkadelic”.


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
In terms of expectations vs reality, “Load” by Metallica. High school was one long Metallica spree and to suddenly find my heroes so changed was very disheartening.


First concert attended?
Honestly I can't remember. I think it might have been Warped Tour. Something like '01.


Last concert?
Blue Oyster Cult played a few miles from my house for the summer free concert series.


Favorite concert ever?
Beethoven's 9th, PSO at Heinz Hall.


Least favorite concert?
Anything where I don't perform up to my expectations.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Home for 9 years, what can I say? It doesn't have everything, but it has everything important.

Thanks, Joshua. Going highbrow with that fave show, huh? Nice!

No comments: