Tuesday, June 16, 2015

First/Last-Narrow Arrow


"Blending together what music means to its members, Narrow/Arrow is a vibrant and visceral 3 piece band whose dynamics, playing style, and presence represent a fresh start in the music scene."

Narrow Arrow is an emo indie folk rock band from Mansfield, OH. They are beginning a Summer tour with Florida band Sea Cycles and hit Pittsburgh on Sunday (6/21) at the People's Warehouse in Oakland. This will be one hell of a fun show! I want to thank Cody Nicolas (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.



The first album you ever bought?
I bought Led Zeppelin's “IV” when I was 12 years old. My mom gave me 20 bucks on a spring break vacation in gulf shores Alabama. After a failed attempt of trying to hide it from them, it was confiscated. They gave it a listen, read the lyrics, and said "I don't know why you want it, the lyrics don't make any sense, but hear you go". I learned the intro to ‘Stairway’ that night.

Favorite album of all time?
Lots of all-time favorites. Sigur Ros “Takk”, Algernon Cadawallader “Parrot Flies”, Radiohead “In Rainbows”, Jonathan Hape “Carnivore”, Vasudeva “Life In Cycles”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
That comeback Taking Back Sunday record "New Again". I watched them do the ‘Live From Orensanz’ on Fuse (back when it wasn't shitty). Those versions of the songs had such a cool, matured sound. I bought the record, and was listening to it on my way home from the record store. Was like I wasn't even listening to the same songs, it sound shittier than “Louder Now”. I pitched it out the window and started smoking again.

First concert attended?
DC Talk at the Delta Plex in Grand Rapids. We had front row seats and Kevin Max pulled my little brother up on stage. I was 8.

Last concert?
Jetty Bones supporting Petals and Koji.

Favorite concert ever?
Sigur Ros in Detroit 2009 or Foxy Shazam that same year in Grand Rapids. OR La Dispute at Dirt Fest.

Least favorite concert?
Copeland opening up for Reliant K at the Paradise in Boston. They sounded great, but I had to bribe the bouncer $40 to let me in because it was sold out, they played for 30 min and ‘Brightest’ wasn't on the set list. Also, I didn't give a shit about seeing Reliant K. $40 for 30 min... those are fuckin prostitute rates.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Pittsburgh is a one of kind city, I haven't done a tour yet where we didn't play it. It's essential to the DIY community, and always shows us one of kind great fucking time. Couldn't be more stoked about the Peoples Warehouse show.

Thanks, Cody. Wanna talk prostitute rates? Tickets in the second row of The Rolling Stones at Heinz Field this Saturday are going for $1700! And that is from ticketmaster! Crazy.

No comments: