Friday, May 29, 2015

First/Last-Sarah Blacker


"Boston’s “Sundress Rocker,” Sarah Blacker’s music will make you “feel it all, In Waves.” Taken from the title track of her forthcoming release, this lyric immediately informs the listener as to the emotional content of her songs. The record is filled with skillful rhythm guitar, piano and ukulele, and sung with a uniquely soulful voice which is much bigger than the size of the artist it comes from."

Sarah Blacker is a Boston singer-songwriter who isn't afraid to rock out. Her latest release is "In Waves" which she will probably dip into as she returns to Pittsburgh tonight at the Pittsburgh Winery on a co-headlining set with fellow Bostonians Laney Jones and the Spirits. I want to thank Sarah (Guitar/Mandolin/Ukulele/Piano/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.




The first album you ever bought?
Green Day “Dookie”.

Your last album bought?
“The Essential Bruce Springsteen”.

Favorite album of all time?
Joni Mitchell “Blue”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I won't name who, but someone at a show gave me a CD that was quite frankly, completely terrifying. So wasn't the picture on the cover. It was an odd blend of sonic mayhem & Grownup man grunts & wails.

First concert attended?
Red Hot Chili Peppers & Silver Chair at The Boston Garden.

Last concert?
Keith Greeninger & David Jacob-Strain at Club Passim.

Favorite concert ever?
Definitely seeing Peter Gabriel at the Boston Garden (‘Growing Up Tour’) with my Dad.

Least favorite concert?
Biggest disappointment spawned from highest hopes was probably Tori Amos at the Orpheum. I was so ready for her to rock out & she played dreamy ballads for hours. All of the songs just blended into one. I ended up talking with the bartender outside.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I have only been once! I rode the Duquesne Incline after eating bad sushi. Even though I lay on a bench once I made it to the top, it was one of the most beautiful views I've seen to date. The Ohio River, parks & downtown plaza were also highlights of my trip. The city's churches also stood out to me. I am excited to return and to see one of my best friends too!

Thanks, Sarah. Ooof... bad sushi is never a good thing. At least it totally didn't ruin your time here.

No comments: