Tuesday, March 3, 2015

First/Last-Devin Moses & The Saved


"I enjoy writing. The idea of sitting down, putting in the work and making something has become a release and an addiction. I have no choice. The current situation is to either write songs or to deplore my existence on some pretentious level...anyway think irreverent folk and that's a good start on my approach. I enjoy writing my songs, and if you enjoy listening to them...well then I am all the better for it."

Devin Moses & The Saved is a somewhat newish Pittsburgh 'Americana-folk' band that have a great release from last year called "The Lawrenceville Sessions", which is basically a lo-fi acoustic effort from frontman, Devin Moses (Acoustic Guitar/Harmonica/Vocals). I want to thank him for taking the time to partcipate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
The first album that I can recall buying was “What I Believe” by Squad Five-O. Though the genre of the album is more or less late 90’s punk rock with ska undertones, the premises throughout the album were very educational and adult for a ten year old. They are still one of my favorite bands for multiple reasons.

Your last album bought?
The last album I bought was quite overdue. The album is “Songs For Drella” by Lou Reed and John Cale. The album is a dedication towards Andy Warhol. The album’s minimalist, intimate and provocative. I fucking adore it.

Favorite album of all time?
My favorite album of all time is “Fear Fun” by Father John Misty aka Josh Tillman. As soon as I heard the album, I realized I’d be listening to it the rest of my life. You can tell the album has been painfully worked over by a seasoned music veteran, who by some chance of fate (or mushrooms) decided to abandon his proto-typical folk style and venture into a satirical and provoking arena. It’s a beginning of a whole new sincere style of writing that I have been starving for. I can’t stand this ridiculous post 90’s movement of “we are too cool to care bullshit”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
When you are informed by your “morally concerned” parents, as a child that you can only listen to “Christian music and Christian Bands”… well let’s just say you are subjugated to some quite ironically un-godly music. Therefore as a child, you either accept that and behave or sneak, lie and steal the music you want. I choose the latter.
But to be honest, I bought “Morning Phase” by Beck last year, and I was exceptionally underwhelmed. I liked it, but I feel he has more to offer.

First concert attended?
The first show I can recall attending, by my own choosing, was by a Pittsburgh rock band named Featherlight in 2000, which was I believe their first show as a full band. Featherlight is from Pittsburgh, PA that has been touring and releasing albums since 2000. When you first see people you know on stage playing as a kid… just knowing that the idea is possible is very powerful and needed for a lot of us as young artists. Great guys.

Last concert?
The last concert, apart from local shows, that I attended was Bob Dylan, when he stopped by in Pittsburgh this past November. It was the first time I saw him. I was invited by Nino Albanese of Proper People, which is a solid fucking new Pittsburgh rock band. We properly prepared ourselves for the show with certain key ingredients, and when he opened with ‘Things Have Changed’ it was quite surreal.

Favorite concert ever?
As of right now, my favorite concert that I ever attended was at the Stone Pony in New Jersey in 2007. I was attending the United States Military Prep Academy, and I had recently finished a 6 month long restriction and fatigue tour punishment due to being a naughty soldier. I saw one of my favorite childhood bands MxPx, and with the intimate venue, packed crowd and set list, it was excellent and quite needed.

Least favorite concert?
My least favorite concert was seeing Showbread in Pittsburgh five or so years ago with my brother Lucas. I really enjoy the band, however they half assed the show and it pissed me off, and I am not projecting insecurities here. People pay to see you play, and when bands don’t deliver it pisses me off, and I don’t give a shit if it’s just you with a damn acoustic guitar and a hat for donations. Playing music for people is a fucking privilege.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I am from a small river town outside of Pittsburgh named Springdale. My father is originally from St. Clair Village, so I am no stranger to this area. I moved to Lawrenceville in March of 2014, when the time and more importantly price was right. My experiences thus far have been excellent. I am seeing a unity of artists that is unprecedented. One of the people responsible for this is Ziggy Sawdust, who is organizing shows all around Pittsburgh, and who was also one of the first people to inform me that I should stop being a closet songwriter and do something. Pittsburgh is growing and changing for the better in the arts, and I hope to be here when it blooms. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else right now.

Thanks, Devin. I do love the what I am hearing from you, man. Excited to hear full band versions of your music soon.

No comments: