Monday, May 20, 2013

First/Last-I am a Sea Creature

Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Southside

"I am a Sea Creature is a Psych-Rock/Dream Pop/Garage Rock band from Pittsburgh PA. We started in 2010 when Ricky and Brandon began pandering around the greater Pittsburgh area, and soon were joined by Alan Bentley on drums. In 2012, Eli Ritchey was added on Bass, and we actually became sort of a real band. Now we are a real band. We have our first full length album coming out this summer called “Beautiful Things.”

Check out the band on Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube and MySpace. They play the Moose tomorrow night supporting Cheap Girls and Diamond Youth. My thanks to Ricky Petticord (Vocals/Guitar), Brandon DenHoed (Synth/Guitar/Percussion), Alan Bentley (Drums) and Eli Ritchey (Bass) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Ricky Petticord: The first album I ever listened to was David Bowie's "Fame and Fashion." He [Bowie] has since become my spirit animal. The first CD I bought was “Play” by Moby at Best Buy. It’s a great album.
Alan Bentley: "Colors" by Between the Buried and Me. Other than that, I usually just stole it off of Ricky.
Eli Ritchey: "American Idiot" by Green Day. I was twelve years old and thought I was a punk.
Brandon DenHoed: I think  "Every Six Seconds" by Saliva. I was fat and I liked metal \m/

Your last album bought?
Ricky: Umm…I buy a lot of music, it was either "Independent Worm Saloon" by the Butthole Surfers or "Dawg Grass/Dawg Jazz" by David Grisman. One side of the album has a dog with a cowboy hat and the other has the same dog, wearing sunglasses and smoking a cigarette.
Eli: "Melody AM" from Royksopp.
Alan: "Steal This Record" by the Suicide Machines.
Brandon: DIIV's "Oshin".

Favorite album of all time?
Ricky: This is very difficult. I'm going to disagree with myself on this later but it would have to be “Hit to Death in the Future Head” by The Flaming Lips, “Diamond Dogs” by David Bowie, Yuck's Self Titled or “Where You Been” by Dinosaur Jr. These albums never leave my car. I work at a record store, and every time I go to put a CD in the mix, I can’t find what exactly I want to listen to. I guess that’s why I play music, because my favorite album is in my head.
Alan: I've got to go with the classic album "Nevermind" by Nirvana. Nothing can top it.
Brandon: I'm digging on Shlohmo and his "Bad Vibes" album. It’s the closest thing to sleep I get, and I highly recommend it.
Eli: It has to be “Doolittle” by the Pixies. Beautiful and simple, it just never gets old.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
All: “Gossamer” by Passion Pit. Passion Pit used to be so rad. Now they're all "wah wah wah girls."

First concert attended?
Brandon: Mayhem Fest. It was pretty intense. I saw Marilyn Manson and Trivium.
Alan: I saw Sonic Youth with my parents when I was about ten years old.
Ricky: I saw The Monkees at some state fair when I was a toddler and I wanted to go home because was tired. I regret that decision.
Eli: I saw Taking Back Sunday in the 7th grade, say what you want their still pretty kick ass.

Last concert?
Brandon & Ricky: We saw Oberhofer with White Like Fire at Garfield Artworks the other day. Brad Oberhofer is such a sweet dude. We made it a party.
Alan: I saw MGMT and Big Boi at Penn State a few weekends ago. Brand New was playing too, but unfortunately we didn't make it up there in time.
Eli: The Flaming Lips and Black Keys.

Favorite concert ever?
Eli: Bomb the Music Industry at 222 Ormbsy. It was the best $7 I've ever spent, and the coolest fucking place in Pittsburgh.
Ricky: Probably The Flaming Lips at Consol Energy Center. They are my absolute favorite band, and they played a cover of ‘Heroes’ by David Bowie. After the song ended, I shouted "I love you Wayne", and he told me that he loves too into his Copperphone microphone. I have a Copperphone too, making the moment even more spiritual.
Alan & Brandon: Yeasayer at Mr. Small’s last summer.

Least favorite concert?
All: The Wanted in Morgantown. Don't ask us how we got there.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Eli: Hanging out with Supla and Joao from the Brothers of Brazil. We played a show with them at Smiling Moose then hung out at my house and heard stories about Amy Winehouse and Snoop Dogg.
Alan: Well, I don't have a favorite experience from Pittsburgh, but I have an experience. Before I am a Sea Creature's very first show, I almost flipped my parent's mini van over Ricky's hill trying to back it into his drive way.  Thankfully that didn't happen, but I still never told them.  Sorry, mom.
Brandon: Before I am a Sea Creature was even a thing, Ricky and I would bring snares, brass, and acoustic stuff to public places and just go have a ball. We actually spent an entire day in a shed in the Robinson Mall. Safe to say, that's where it all began.
Ricky: I grew up in an old neighborhood in Robinson outside of Pittsburgh, and my sister was friends with a dude named Jeff Betten, who now has an amazing band called Western Pennsylvania. He was still in high school when we met, and he played in a band called Jeff Betts and the Neverminds. He was the coolest guy ever (and still is), and he is one of the big reasons I wanted to get into music. He used to sit on my porch and teach me Modest Mouse songs and then push me on a tire swing. Since then, Jeff has really guided me through Pittsburgh and through music in general.

Thanks, fellas. I'm right with you Ricky on all good things Jeff Betten. Solid dude, right there!

No comments: