Thursday, June 21, 2012

First/Last-The Lumineers


Monday, June 25, 2012
Munhall

"The roots revival of the last few years has primed listeners for a new generation of rustic, heart-on-the-sleeve music—the kind that nods to tradition while setting off into uncharted territory. The Lumineers walk that line with an unerring gift for timeless melodies and soul-stirring lyrics. Born out of sorrow, powered by passion, ripened by hard work, The Lumineers have found their sound when the world needs it most."

I have totally been loving this new record by these guys. They are opening for Brandi Carlile this upcoming Monday AND are sharing a few tour dates with my brothers and sister in rock (analog, synth, or otherwise),  Good Night, States. My thanks to Ms. Lumineer herself Neyla Pekarek for taking a few minutes to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Debbie Gibson, “Out of the Blue”. Unless you count, "Our Dinosaur Friends," but I think technically my mom bought that one for me.

Your last album bought?
Jack White, “Blunderbuss”.

Favorite album of all time?
Bob Dylan's “Freewheelin'” is definitely up there, Etta James' “At Last”, and I'll always have a special spot in my heart for "August and Everything After" by Counting Crows. My sister and I used to choreograph dances to that album when we were kids. I'm not joking. I had a move called "the Anna Begins flip".

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Lindsay Lohan's “Speak”. Man, I had high hopes for that one. Thought it would have been better.

First concert attended?
My sister won tickets to a Widespread Panic show at Red Rocks when I was about 12. It was my first concert and the first time I ever saw someone smoke pot. Go figure?

Last concert?
I saw The Drums in Denver a few weeks ago. I loved it.

Favorite concert ever?
The Gorillaz at Coachella two years ago. That was pretty damn magical. Maybe tied with the Hanson concert, also at Red Rocks, that I went to with my dad just shortly after that Widespread Panic show. I knew every word to every song.

Least favorite concert?
Probably last fall when we played at a college bar with about 5 people in attendance and I had a raging fever.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I like a lot of those towns out east because there's this sort of spooky colonial vibe about some of them. Pittsburgh gives me that vibe. Nothing's as old out west.

Thanks, Neyla. Really jazzed to catch your set. Hopefully we can witness that 'Anna Begins flip'? That would be quite outstanding!

No comments: