Friday, June 4, 2010

First/Last-Greg Dutton

Lohio

So I have been posting these little questionnaires lately. The page view stats from readers have been overwhelming when I featured local musicians. In honor of that, I am making it a weekly feature to be posted every Friday throughout summer!
The Three Rivers Arts Fest starts today and headlining the local music showcase next Saturday, June 12 is no stranger to this blog, Lohio.
Starting today, appropriately enough, Greg was nice to enough to participate in this inaugural edition of First/Last Friday.


The first album you ever bought?
He's the DJ I'm the Rapper by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.

Your last album bought?
The National, High Violet.

Favorite album of all time?
Blur, 13.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Any record that I buy after I listen to it for the first time is kind of a disappointment. When I listen to a new record, my expectations are so high that there's no way that the music can live up to this idea I’ve conjured in my head of what it should sound like. So, it's always a bit of a let down. But then I listen to that same record a couple more times and I’m like "this is the best record ever created by man!"

First concert attended?
Kiss, Wheeling Civic Arena 1995. Starting when I was 5 or 6 I’d go to country music concerts with my parents, but this was the first show that I went out and bought tickets for.

Last concert?
Sufjan Stevens, Beachland Ballroom, Cleveland.

Favorite concert ever?
Hard to say but it might be Badly Drawn Boy at the 9:30 Club, Washington DC, 2000. I was excited to see him and drove all the way to DC to see the show.


Least favorite concert?
Infamous Ryan Adams show at the Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, 2002. He kicked a guy out for making a Summer of 69 joke. But then Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings came out and played a 4 song encore with him, so it was kind of the worst and best show I’ve been to.



Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Stumbling into Club Cafe and seeing Boca Chica play for the first time. Having a friend drag me to Modern Formations and discovering The You. Cindy Howes' porch parties and house concerts. House parties that turn into hootenanies, with 20 minute long versions of Helpless or Down By the River. More than anything, just hanging out with all the great people I’ve met.

Thanks a lot Greg. In reading about that RyRy show, I always wondered if that was some part urban legend or not. Now I know!

No comments: