Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Shoe Review-"A Day In The Life"

Beatlemania! with The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
Sunday November 22, 2009
Heinz Hall
Downtown

I, for one, have never been into cover bands. I don't mind seeing someone do an occasional cover but as far as bands that focus on one group and play their music all night to me is cheese central. I thought that this show would fall into that category, and believe me, on some songs it certainly did (Twist & Shout, Yellow Submarine). What set this afternoon apart was the fantastic sound of the orchestra behind it. On most numbers it seemed that it was used sparingly with most of the members not doing anything besides sitting still. On the other hand, there were some tunes that blew me away with the accompaniment that I will never experience again(A Day In The Life, Penny Lane). Well worth venturing into town on a Sunday afternoon.

What did they play you ask?
YESTERDAY\ELEANOR RIGBY\SOMETHING\I AM THE WALRUS\LIVE AND LET DIE\IMAGINE\HEY JUDE\PENNY LANE\A DAY IN THE LIFE\HERE COMES THE SUN\SHE'S LEAVING HOME\ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE\THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD\GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE\GOLDEN SLUMBERS\CARRY THAT WEIGHT\THE END\MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR\SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND\WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS\HARD DAY'S NIGHT
I SAW HER STANDING THERE\TWIST AND SHOUT\YELLOW SUBMARINE\OB-LA-DI, OB-LA-DA\GOOD NIGHT\COME TOGETHER

What they didn't play in Pittsburgh(bummer)?
STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER\LADY MADONNA\SAVOY TRUFFLE\MARTHA MY DEAR\MAYBE I'M AMAZED\MY LOVE\LET 'EM IN\SILLY LOVE SONGS\YOU'VE GOT TO HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY\HELLO, GOODBYE

No comments: