Thursday, January 25, 2018

First/Last - Demos Papadimas


"Singer-songwriter Demos Papadimas skillfully intertwines his love of both American and Mediterranean influenced roots music."

Demos Papadimas is an Americana roots rocker based out of Youngstown, OH who performs all around the tri-state area his his band on the heels of his latest fantastic release, The Lucky You EP. If you are up Sharon way, check them out this Saturday (1/27) at the Apollo Maennerchor Club. I want to thank Demos (Acoustic Guitar/Harmonica/Bouzouki/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
I remember that my mom bought me a Chuck Berry Greatest Hits cassette when I was very young as well as some Beach Boys. The first album I really remember wanting to buy on my own though was Green Day’s Dookie.


Your last album bought?
Nathaniel Rateliff Live at Red Rocks  and JD McPherson’s Undivided Heart And Soul.


Favorite album of all time?I’m not good with favorites… maybe Bob Dylan’s Highway 61 Revisited or Blood on the Tracks?

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
I’ve been disappointed by some records, but I don’t think I want to disparage anyone’s work.


First concert attended?
Well, I definitely saw live music as a child, but the first concert I remember really wanting to go to on my own was Green Day on the “Nimrod” tour in 1997.


Last concert?
Bob Dylan at E.J. Thomas Hall, Akron on November 3, 2017.


Favorite concert ever?
Bob Dylan and Paul Simon July 17, 1999 Camden, NJ at the E-Centre.
I was in attendance more so for Dylan than Simon and going to this concert really represents the moment I became interested in folk music — if that’s what you want to call what Dylan does because it’s much more than just “folk” music. I suppose I should say roots music or Americana. Nevertheless, I was 14 and it was a starting point of sorts. From there, I got much more into the roots of rock and roll and later on I went further into blues, country, bluegrass, New Orleans jazz, and everything else. I remember him ending with a cover of “Not Fade Away” and right at the song’s end he slipped away, putting on a cowboy hat as he walked offstage with his band. Interestingly, 3 days later I met the Ramones at a signing they did at the Virgin Megastore in NYC for the release of The Anthology. Musically, and especially for a teenager, it was two separate worlds, but I loved them both.


Least favorite concert?
Oh, I don’t know. I usually avoid concerts that I don’t want to attend. I’ve seen a lot of bands in clubs that I haven’t care much for. In terms of major concerts… I went along with friends to a Tool concert and can’t say I was that interested. It wasn’t bad, but not in my realm of interest. Sorry to any Tool fans that might be reading this.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I lived here between 2003-2008 as a college student at the University of Pittsburgh. It’s another home for me and I feel I’ve been away for too long as it is.

Thanks, Demos. Seems like you have seen Dylan a bunch of times. What are your thoughts on his latest shows? I am hearing strongly mixed reactions. Not that I gave up on him but after a dozen or so times, I feel I got my Dylan fill.

No comments: