Monday, December 12, 2016

First/Last - Red Room Effect


"Eric Gadola, also known by his stage name "Crazy Eric" formed the grassroots
of Red Room Effect in the summer of 2013. Working as a golf pro by day and struggling singer/songwriter by night, Gadola approached producer/drummer, Paul Jay with songs he had been writing with hopes of forming a band. Impressed by his songwriting abilities, Paul Jay and Eric began to mold the the majority of songs that would later appear on the "Frame of Mind EP." Hendrix, Clapton, Jack White, The Black Keys, the RHCP, Nirvana, Prince, Rick James, & Outcast have played a significant role in Gadola's, songwriting, playing style, and vocal delivery."

Red Room Effect is an funk rock band from Pittsburgh who today dropped the official video for their single "Sirens" which is also available on iTunes. Much thanks to songwriter Eric Gadola (Guitar/Harmonica/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
Elvis Presley The Number One Hits - I stole it from my uncle when I was 5. I would play “Hounddog,” strumming on a broom in my grandmas living room in my tighty whities .


Your last album bought?
The Getaway Red Hot Chili Peppers - We have been blending rock and hip hop and the Chili Peppers are a big influence of ours... Danger Mouse who produced this record is the best in the business right now. I love referencing this album to our material when arranging and mixing. I absolutely love the record. Reminds me of a classic Chili's record with some modern flare.

Favorite album of all time?
The Jimi Hendrix Experience Axis: Bold As Love – “Little Wing” changed my life as a blues guitarist. I locked myself in my college dorm freshman year for a week and learned the guitar part with little to no music or guitar experience. That helped me progress as a player immensely learning a guitar part that complex early on. I am finally starting to do the song some justice after 10 years of practice....

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Guns N Roses Chinese Democracy - I was a huge GNR fan as a kid, I always thought it wouldn't be the same without Slash, man i was right.... For an album that was 5 years in the making with that kind of budget. I couldn't pick a song I liked, major disappointment.

First concert attended?
Rusted Root at some park in Pittsburgh in the mid 90's before they blew up. My mom had there CD! She has a lot to do with my musical taste.

Last concert?
Stick Figure and the Movement at the Rex Theater. My gf has been getting me into reggae more! I'm not complaining.

Favorite concert ever?
Lollapalooza 2012 Chicago, Illinois: 3 of my hero's headlined: Jack White, The Black Keys, & RHCP. It rained and we got muddy as ever, and my buddy Chris freaked out and disappeared. We found him back at his uncle's barbecue stand passed out with a BBQ sauce mustache.

Least favorite concert?
2009 Wiz Khalifa at The Mezzanine in State College, PA. It was finals week at school, and this up-and-coming rapper was slated to play at an intimate club in downtown State College. Doors were at 9, which is pretty late... it also was snowing pretty heavily. Long story short, there was no opener, he never arrived until 1 am, and played a 15 minute set before the club closed for the night... Let's just say I didn't do to stellar on my final the next day...

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Has to be the local music festivals. It is so fun playing them, the support from the community is great. It’s pretty special when you don't have to leave your back yard to play 4 to 5 legitimate festivals each summer, pretty amazing. Deutschtown Music Festival has to be one of our faves over the past year! Thanks Hugh!!!

Thanks, Eric. Deutschtown is always crazy and always fun. Believe it not, going to start planning 2017 soon.

No comments: