Thursday, August 20, 2015

First/Last-Six Speed Kill


"I guess we are supposed to tell you about this band now. Nick was bored one day around June 2013 because he probably ran out of beer or hamburger meat. His quest began to find a few low-lifes like himself that at least said they could play an instrument. First up was Luke - upon meeting Luke it appears he may have a bit of a Napoleonic complex due to his short stature yet possessing the anger of a wounded chimpanzee. However, he seemed like he could play enough for the rest of the band to look past his ornery nature. Up next is the man they call Stevie D. Steve is a distinguished gentleman, a tall drink of water, with the temperament of a well fed golden retriever. That man can also pound on some low end strings, and since he would offset the previous discussed member it was a great fit instantly. Finally, after a little while of jamming and learning our sound we did make a small lineup change which will not discuss past here. Enter the P.J. Who is the wild beast of a man who entered the room and sat down behind a equally shaggy drum kit? Well the answer did not come with words but instead with the furious pounding of drums, and a little odor, but mostly drums. The lineup was now complete. Completely Awesome? Completely Scary? Completely Insane? We'll let you be the Judge."

Six Speed Kill is punk speed rock band from Pittsburgh who just released their latest self-titled full-length and will be playing selections from it Friday (8/21) at the 31st St. Pub as they open for The Atomic Bitchwax and Against the Grain. Check them out if you are a fan of Motorhead, Nashville Pussy or ZEKE as I thank Nick Phelps (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.



The first album you ever bought?
While I can't remember my first anything possibly due to too much party back in the day, I'll go with Bruce Springsteen "Born in the USA" because I do remember getting that as a Christmas Gift early on (most likely before I had money to spend on myself). My Parents were probably profiling me based on my reaction to the album just to make sure I wasn't a very young commie in the making. Good job Mom and Dad!

Your last album bought?
U.S. Bastards “Totally Fucked”. They came through town a couple weeks ago and I dug them, so I bought their tape.

Favorite album of all time?
That’s so hard to narrow down since if you ask me in a couple weeks I might have a different answer, but to completely shock our fans Ill have to say Motorhead "Overkill". A close second would definitely be Dexy's Midnight Runners.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
That's a tough one since I tend to forget albums that aren't memorable. I'm sure I had plenty of disappointments back in the day when you picked an album from the store based on artwork. Sorry but I really don't have a good answer for this one.

First concert attended?
I know I went to a few when I was young but the first concert I remember seeing on my own was a Deicide/Broken Hope show at the Abyss in Houston, TX sometime in the 90's.

Last concert?
U.S. Bastards / The Cheats / Thunder Vest / Scratch and Sniffs.

Favorite concert ever?
So many to choose from and I am sure no matter what I will miss something. If I can still remember the show it must have been a good one so I'll have to say Murphys Law / Sick of it All in the early 00's at Fitzgeralds in Houston, TX. But to be honest there were just as many great shows with local bands in the 90's and early 00's that popped up in park, VFW halls, that were just as fun as the bigger acts.

Least favorite concert?
I went with someone to one of those Nashville country guys a couple years ago. Awful, just terrible. All style, no substance. I really like smaller shows, and won't go to a stadium or large venue show unless I absolutely have to.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
As a transplant to the area, I have really fallen in love with the city. That being said it really has nothing to do with the city but the people I've met and got to know of the last couple years. It's just the right size not to get too saturated with garbage music, and while other towns may get more people out to shows just due to population, Pittsburgh brings quality. I have seen less drama and in fighting here that almost anywhere else I've lived. I've met some good people I now consider friends, and those same people truly love and support local music. All I can suggest for others moving to the city is just to get out and go to shows, you will be welcomed with open arms.

Thanks, Nick. I appreciate your thoughts on Pittsburgh music and the people involved. I couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments: