Wednesday, April 1, 2015

First/Last-The Hardy Band


"We are from Leicester. What can you do?
It is here where a group of wishful wranglers combine the melodic guile of
folk romantics, the savage twang of west coast hepcats and the joyous stomp
of an Americana tinged barnburner, if that sounds like a fanciful notion; consider the dynamics of all three: Melodic, Romantic, Lustful, Exuberant, Daring and Gritty.
You know, all the good stuff."

The Hardy Band is an acoustic folk outfit that blends elements of pop and country into the mix. Hailing from Leicester, UK you can listen to some great demos at their SoundCloud page. My thanks to Jay Hardy (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
“These Days” by Bon Jovi. I loved them guys as a youngster.

Your last album bought?
“This is All Yours' by British band Alt J. A great album and a great band.

Favorite album of all time?
“The ‘Freewheelin' Bob Dylan”. A massive influence.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
“King of Limbs” by Radiohead. I love the band and had very high hopes for the album at the time. I licked my lips in anticipation, they let me down.

First concert attended?
Meatloaf. It is still fresh in my memory, an amazing show. It floored me. My early years were pretty much spent abusing Meatloaf and Bon Jovi records.

Last concert?
A Gregory Porter show, what a voice! Enough said.

Favorite concert ever?
The last gig I attended, Gregory Porter, it blew me away.

Least favorite concert?
A Paul Weller show a few years ago. Usually great live but not on this occasion. He looked bored, lacklustre. He lacked his usual vitality and spirit. Poor. I still very much like his records though.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I one day hope to visit Pittsburgh, it looks like a beautiful city with a rich history and very diverse music scene. I love Ben Kauffman, Bill Eckstine and Kenny Clarke. The Pittsburgh Jazz scene in general has always been vibrant and alluring for me.

Thanks, Jay. Would love for you to make it over here sometime. Also, I guess I gotta check out Gregory Porter!

No comments: