Tuesday, October 16, 2012

First/Last-The Ragbirds

Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Larryville

"Led by dynamic, energetic front woman and multi-instrumentalist Erin Zindle, The Ragbirds utilize an arsenal of instruments from around the world. The Ragbirds are a fusion of folk rock and pop hooks over danceable world rhythms stirred with a Celtic fiddler's bow."

The band return to play Pittsburgh tomorrow night at Brillobox along with Sephus Lee and Acrylic Clouds. My sincere thanks to bandleader Erin Zindle for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

 The first album you ever bought?
Billy Joel's “Greatest Hits”.

Your last album bought?
Tedeschi-Trucks Band.

Favorite album of all time?
Paul Simon's “Graceland”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Leonard Cohen's 2004 album, “Dear Heather”. I picked it up at a thrift store, having loved Cohen's songwriting previously and was shocked when I hated every song.

First concert attended?
Pearl Jam, Rochester, NY in 1994.

Last concert?
The Avett Brothers in Ann Arbor, MI.

Favorite concert ever?
This is very difficult because I've loved so many shows for all sorts of reasons. Some shows I loved mostly because of the surrounding scenario and the company I was keeping. But all sentimentality aside, I'd have to say my favorite show for the music's sake was Glen Hansard on the eve of St. Patty's Day in Austin, TX (he ended at midnight with an acapella version of ‘The Parting Glass’). He's just so real and I treasured every word from his mouth.

Least favorite concert?
I can't answer this. There are many I can think of, but I just don't feel good publicly trashing another artist just to show how astute my observations are. I can be very critical, but try to focus on good things in my life.

Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
We always meet the coolest, most down-to-earth folks in Pittsburgh. One of my favorite bands when I was a teenager (and an early influence on my songwriting), Rusted Root is from Pittsburgh and that's really cool.


Thanks, Erin. I must agree that the people in Pittsburgh are cool and down-to-earth if I don't say so myself.

No comments: